COVID-19 Webinar No. 5: Considerations for Businesses & Employers in the Food & Ag Industry
April 17, 2020
Downey Brand COVID-19 Webinar Series
Changes are happening. Quickly. With the recent spread of COVID-19 and its imminent effects on the workplace and the economy, state, local, and federal governments are issuing guidance and regulatory and legal changes in efforts to both reduce health risks and address resulting effects on the workplace and economic conditions.
These changes and guidance are rapidly hitting our inboxes and you or your business may need strategies for understanding your legal options. To help, Downey Brand’s client service group is scheduling a series of complimentary webinars, the fifth of which is scheduled for Friday, April 17, 2020, from 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
If you missed this webinar, you can replay a recording of it below.
If you missed our other webinars, you can access a recording of them on our website by clicking on the dates below:
March 20, 2020 | March 27, 2020 | April 3, 2020 | April 10, 2020 | April 24, 2020 | May 8, 2020 | May 22, 2020
During this Friday’s webinar we will offer updates and answers to some questions that you may be facing, such as:
- What are the pressing issues facing employers, including the questions an employer can ask employees and what actions an employer should take upon learning that the workplace may have been exposed.
- Is there any reported impact on the quality or safety of the food we produce or sell if we have an employee who is, or may be positive for COVID-19? Should we notify our supply chain?
- What if we are having trouble bringing in enough seasonal employees for our farming operation. Can we extend hours and days per week in order to get the crop planted?
- How do associations advise their members in the food production, processing, or distribution industry on the myriad federal, state and local orders and guidance that will impact their operations.
- How do we help our own clients and customers through these challenges?
The presentation is meant to offer general guidance and thought leadership across the food & agriculture industry (including those in the production, processing, and distribution of food and agricultural products, to the associations and agencies that represent them, as well as the companies that supply and support them). We will moderate a panel presentation that will include our Food & Ag Co-Chair Dale Stern, Employment Partner Cass Ferrannini, and Public Agency Partner Rebecca Smith.
UPDATE: Please note since the recording of this webinar on Friday, April 17, 2020, President Trump signed a fourth Stimulus Bill into law on April 24, 2020, that expressly allows agricultural producers, farmers, and ranchers to participate in the Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL). The new Stimulus Bill also expressly states that agricultural producers, farmers, and ranchers can participate in the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), thus allowing agriculture businesses that meet eligibility criteria to participate in both programs. Please visit the SBA website for information concerning both relief options.