Combining a storied history with some big leaps of growth, Downey Brand has transformed itself into Sacramento’s preeminent law firm and reached down the Central Valley and into San Francisco to advance our clients’ interests. The firm traces its roots back to 1926 when three notable Sacramento attorneys, Stephen Downey, Clyde Brand and Harry Seymour, formed the partnership of Downey Brand & Seymour. Otto Rohwer joined the firm upon graduating from law school, but was not named a partner for another decade and not until 1943 was his name added to the partnership — Downey, Brand, Seymour & Rohwer.
Twenty years after the firm was founded, the number of lawyers had increased only to five. Nevertheless, those five lawyers made it the second largest firm in Sacramento. Growth continued over the years and in 1973 the firm relocated to larger office space to accommodate more than 15 attorneys and staff. Since that time, the firm has continued its reach beyond Sacramento. During the year 2000, the firm expanded by opening a regional office in Stockton, which has long been a business hub in the Central Valley, as well as a thriving agricultural base. In 2010 our growth spread west with the opening of a Downey Brand San Francisco office.
Today, Downey Brand has more than 100 attorneys, serving clients in California and beyond. Throughout the years, the firm has served as counsel for many of the region’s leading businesses and continues to do so today. Our attorneys work in business, litigation and natural resources with over 50 specialized practice areas, all with the singular focus – to help our clients’ achieve their goals.