Questions of Common Supply: SGMA Requirements for Interconnected Surface Water and Groundwater
February 2, 2019
Moderator, 2019 California Water Law Symposium - California Groundwater: SGMA & Beyond
Downey brand water law partner Kevin O’Brien will be moderating a panel discussion at the 2019 Califonia Water Law Symposium. The panel will address the relationship between SGMA groundwater plans and various surface water issues such as surface flows, streams, water basins, and fisheries. Panelists will discuss the structure of SGMA and how it addresses these water connections, as well as the effects they have on fisheries. They will explain how to determine what is an undesirable result under SGMA using undesirable results under this framework. These experts will also provide an overview of California law of surface water and groundwater rights, including the SGMA grandfather clause, the common supply doctrine, and the public trust doctrine.
Panel Discussion: Questions of Common Supply: SGMA Requirements for Interconnected Surface Water and Groundwater
- Kevin O’Brien (moderator), Partner, Downey Brand LLP
- Alletta (Letty) Belin, Consultant, Alletta Belin Consulting LLC
- Richard Frank, Professor of Environmental Practice; Director, UC Davis School of Law’s California Environmental Law & Policy Center
- Paul Stanton Kibel, Water and Natural Resource Counsel, Water and Power Law Group
- Andy Sawyer, Assistant Chief Counsel, State Water Resources Control Board
Downey Brand is a proud sponsor of this annual event. For more information and to register, visit the event website.