Greenhouse Gas Emission Impacts in CEQA & NEPA Environmental Review
September 10, 2020
Environment, Land Use and Real Estate Section of the BASF Barristers Club
Downey Brand partner Kathryn Oehlschlager and senior associate Hina Gupta will be taking part in a virtual panel discussion hosted by the Environment, Land Use and Real Estate Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco’s Barristers Club on September 10, 2020 from 2-3:15pm. Kathryn will be speaking on the panel and Hina will be moderating the discussion.
The panel will cover recent developments affecting environmental reviews under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and its state counterpart, the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), with a focus on how these developments affect the analysis of greenhouse gas emissions and potential climate impacts of a proposed project. Climate impact analysis in NEPA and CEQA reviews has long been a subject of contention among various stakeholders, and has recently received attention in high-profile rulemaking proceedings and litigation both at the federal and state levels. Seasoned practitioners will discuss these developments and their practical impacts on project proposals going forward.
See below for a breakdown of the panel and the topics that will be addressed.
- Hina Gupta, Downey Brand
- Kathryn Oehlschlager, Downey Brand
- Alexander “Sandy” Crockett, Bay Area Air Quality Management District
- Michael Drummond, WSP Global Inc
- How the recently-finalized CEQ rule updating NEPA implementing regulations may affect agency consideration of the anticipate climate impacts of a proposed action.
- The recent California Court of Appeals decision in Golden Door Properties LLC and how it is likely to impact CEQA mitigation measures for GHG emissions.
- What types of projects are most likely to be impacted by these recent NEPA/CEQA developments.
- How these developments affect the interplay of NEPA and CEQA where a proposed project triggers both types of review.
For more information and to register, please visit the BASF Event Page.